Monday, January 6, 2014

Tree bones


Helen Loggie, Bellingham artist whose etchings of trees are intricate and particularly lively, did a few other things, I found only one coloured work, and a few mountains.


But her trees are the thing! 
What I love most about winter are  tree bones.


 in sync with  trees  - seems to be the very thing I notice most. For instance, last night was the first of  Downton Abby's series #4, in the U.S., 
the ONLY thing that impressed me was the view sad ol' Mary had from her room. 
A tree, bare except for the multiple abandoned nests that looked like pom-poms- or Japanese lanterns whose lights had died, caught by  witchy gnarled branches, held still, in the colourless season of depression.
Perfect for Lady Mary, seemingly soaked in vinegar brine, catatonic in her self absorbed grief.


nests left behind to weather winter storms and dull grey frozen skies -so sturdy- they will be lively  in the spring as the leaves hide them again for little bird  families .
And so, I watched the entire episode with only one lasting impression. The view from Mary's window- 


tree bones, and a refresher of Helen Loggie, whose trees have such spirit. Like Lady Mary's tree, unlike Lady Mary herself, such a sad old rag.

7 comments:

Eileen Black said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get all goofy over that dry Brit soap opera. Tree bones, yes and thanks for introducing me to Helen Loggie.

Eileen Black said...

Okay, I've just spent the last half-hour going through web sites about Helen Loggie. (WOW!) Now my paint is dry and I've lost all interest in my little project. Time to give up and go do kitchen stuff, I guess.

Dolores said...

You have such a way with words. I love trees at anytime. Tree bones - never heard of them before.
Love Downton Abbey but what I came away with was the Dowager Countess' hat. She has kept up with the times. I can't find a photo but it was a great hat on her.

juliet... said...

Pssst - Linda Sue, I have a Loggie oil painting hanging in the entry -- it was a wedding gift from the Knowles. I got to pick from a group -- I picked the oil with the most color.

juliet... said...

Pssst - Linda Sue, I have a Loggie oil painting hanging in the entry -- it was a wedding gift from the Knowles. I got to pick from a group -- I picked the oil with the most color.

Elizabeth Wix said...

As you may realize I'm obsessed by bare trees!

oxoxo

ellen abbott said...

that's a beautiful drawing. one of the few things I like about winter and trees bare of leaves is seeing all the hidden nests.

I'm your BIGGEST fan!

I'm your BIGGEST fan!

petal bowl

petal bowl

Splash Bowl

Splash Bowl

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin