Friday, January 17, 2014

Love for trains



I miss travel by train so much. I can still walk a few blocks to the station here , hop on Amtrak and go either south to Portland or north to Vancouver B.C. But to get inland it is impossible. When Erik was little we took the train from Seattle to Denver - rented a sleeper car, perfect way to travel with small children. The meals  in the dining car , freshly cooked, loads of butter , home made pie...had great service. 
When I was a child, that is how our family travelled to California to see my Dad's brother...no need to drive a car. Grateful for that! My Dad did not understand traffic! Once , when he realized that he was going the wrong way on an L.A. freeway he just drove in reverse. 
I first fell in love on the train , With Ray, just like the child and man in  this painting. Every year we took the same journey and Ray was there, like part of the family.The last trip with Ray I think was when I was in middle school. Every trip I gave him what I thought was the coolest thing ever- miniature brightly coloured clothes pegs, I just found one in my stuff from the past, floating around , lost...it brought everything about our trips with Ray on the Union Pacific into focus. 
Amazing how that happens- even the smell of the yellow salt on the dinning table came back...I understand how objects carry memories...I understand Hoarders!


4 comments:

Steve Reed said...

I love that Norman Rockwell painting. I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

I took only one lengthy train trip, in 1973, from Florida to D.C. to see my grandparents. I remember we got a sleeper room and my mom and brother and I all slept there. I remember waking up and looking out the window at the Carolina farms racing past in the dawn light.

It IS too bad that Americans don't use trains much anymore. They're still in use in Europe, as you know.

Leenie B said...

When you're born next to a railroad track that train whistle echos through your whole life. LOVE trains!

ellen abbott said...

I wish they would bring passenger trains back. I only remember one train ride. I was about 8 or so and my parents didn't want to drive me the 3 or 4 hour trip for my annual summer visit with my aunt and uncle in the country. so they put me on train. I wish I remembered more about it.

Reya Mellicker said...

I love trains, too - even though one hit me once upon a time.

Taking the train to NYC and back always makes me feel like I'm one of those movies from the 1940s.

I'm your BIGGEST fan!

I'm your BIGGEST fan!

petal bowl

petal bowl

Splash Bowl

Splash Bowl

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin